Who are we?
We are a diverse group of local climbers. Young and old, male and female, crag rat and alpinist, active and armchair types-We all enjoy climbing in its many varieties. We also share a common interest in promoting safe climbing, conserving the outdoor resource, developing new climbing skills, representing the DC Metro climbing community and having fun doing it! The Potomac Mountain Club, aka, is the Mountaineering Section of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, a non-profit corporation, devoted to responsible use of the outdoor resource.
What do we do?
- CLIMB! Whether local or further afield, nearly every weekend our members are out climbing. Each year, several expedition-minded people, organize longer trips.
- INFORM! We publish a newsletter, the UPROPE, which is now online. The newsletter details recent Club events, articles, book reviews and the latest and greatest climbing related news of interest submitted by the membership.
- TEACH! We provide instruction for those who want to learn the basics and supplemental instruction through clinics given by members; we are not a school but learn by doing.
- LEARN! We sponsor lectures by climbers. Guest lecturers have included: Hans Florine, Rosie Andrews, Fred Beckley, Greg Collins, John Harlin, Lynn Hill, Jeff Lowe, Paul Piana, Marc Richey, Doug Scott, Mark Wilford and Jimmy Chin.
- SHARE! We manage a list-server where members can communicate and post impromptu climbing trips and discuss climbing issues. We use a full service website medium to share information on activities, current events & notices, the membership database, club photo galleries, trips, and membership information.
- MEET! We gather for a monthly meeting to discuss club business, enjoy a slide show and socialize with area climbers. We meet at the PATC headquarters (118 Park Street, SE, Vienna, VA) on the second Wednesday of each month at 730pm. Everyone is invited.
Climb with Us
We welcome and encourage non-members to join us on our climbing trips. In addition to the calendar in the UPROPE, our website has more information on all club activities through the on-line CLIMBING CALENDAR and a means to join the list serve for info on trips. Contact the trip leaders for required clothing and gear, the rendezvous place and time. We require everyone, newcomers and members alike, to sign a liability waiver.
Become a Member, It’s Easy!
Although we encourage non-members to participate in our activities, there comes a point when regular participants should become members of the Potomac Mountain Club.
To join, all you need to do is fill out a Membership Application, Liability waiver and remit the appropriate membership fee. Membership entitles you to voting privileges, UPROPE subscription, club directory and participation in other club activities.
See you on the Rocks!